Deciding on which is going to be the best travel card is also going to depend on what features and benefits are most important to you. Some of the important factors are:
- What rewards the card is going to give
- Which card is going to offer the best signup bonus
- A card that allows for greater category spending
- Cards which offer a low spending minimum
- Those that come with extra perks
- Low annual fee cards
- Good deals on foreign transactions
- Cards that offer a cashback
- Best Hotel travel cards
- Travel credit cards that offer exceptional insurance coverages
- 1 Our Top Ten Best Canada Travel Credit Cards 2018
- 2 Best Highest Awards Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 3 Best Foreign Currency Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 4 Best Category Spending Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 5 Best Special Rewards Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 6 Best Sign Up Bonus Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 7 Best Cashback Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 8 Best Annual Fees Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 9 Best Low Spending Minimum Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 10 Best Hotels Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
- 11 Best Insurance Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
Our Top Ten Best Canada Travel Credit Cards 2018
- American Express Cobalt Credit Card ( Best highest rewards)
- Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card (Best foreign currency)
- CIBC Aerogold Infinite (Best category spending)
- The Platinum Card( Best perks)
- American Express Gold Rewards Card ( Best sign up bonus)
- BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard (Best cashback)
- WestJet RBC Mastercard (Best low annual fee)
- Best Western Rewards Mastercard (Best low spending minimum)
- Starwood Preferred Guest (Best hotel savings)
- RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege (Best insurance)
Best Highest Awards Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
American Express Cobalt Credit Card
|Annual Fee||$10. month|
What makes the American Express Cobalt Credit Card our first choice is because overall it offers the best rewards combined with the welcome bonus. traveller’s tend to spend a lot of money on their travel throughout the year. For those who like to earn points that can be well used during travel times, this is a great card to choose. Some of the other great features about this card are;
- For every dollar spent there is a chance to earn 5 points on specified purchases such as food, drinks, and food delivery services.
- The opportunity to earn 2 points on purchases related to travel and transit.
- For regular spending 1 point for each dollar earned.
- Flexibility in redeeming the points for purchases, fixed points travel, frequent traveller for hotels.
Best Foreign Currency Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card
What makes us put this in our top ten best credit cards for travel is that the rewards are geared towards travellers. There is no mark up on foreign currency purchases outside of the standard exchange rate. Other travel perks that come with this card are;
- Complimentary airport lounge access.
- Good travel protection such as emergency medical insurance, delay, and lost baggage insurance, travel accident insurance.
- Shopping Advantages: such as purchase security, and price protection.
- Point unlocking.
- Point Conversion.
- Avis Preferred Plus Membership.
- Visa Infinite benefits.
Best Category Spending Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
CIBC Aerogold Infinite
This card has earned its place in the top ten because of the opportunity it offers to earn extra air miles at over 150 Aeroplan partners and 100 online retailers. Other advantages are;
- Detailed insurance plans.
- Additional options for earning 1.5 miles on select purchases.
- For every dollar spent on other purchases earns 1 mile.
- Opportunity to earn miles twice.
Best Special Rewards Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
The Platinum Card
|Rewards||Bonus and Awards|
This one has been chosen to be added to the top ten best travel cards for those who want a high-end card with plenty of additional benefits. The annual fee is high on this card because of all the extras that come with the Platinum card, with some of the following additional highlights;
- Can earn 50,000 bonus membership rewards points.
- $200 annual travel credit.
- Lounge access worldwide.
- Platinum Concierge.
- Platinum Dining.
- Good insurance coverage.
Best Sign Up Bonus Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
American Express Gold Rewards Card
|Rewards||Bonus and Points|
This card has made the list based on a couple of its key features. It has a signup bonus of 25,000 membership awards. The value on this is $625 in free flights. Then the extra perks are substantial such as;
- Fixed points travel program.
- Point transfer to other frequent travel programs.
- 2 points for every $1. spend on regular purchases and eligible travel.
- Additional membership rewards points for eligible hotel and car rental bookings.
- A $75 USD hotel credit
- Reasonable Insurance coverage
Best Cashback Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard
This card is added to the top ten list for those who put more focus on cashback as possible to Welcome points or awards. The highlight of this card is the 1.5% cash back on all credit card purchases. Additional features are;
- World Elite Travel and Medical Protection.
- Purchase Protection Plus.
- Extended warranty plus.
Best Annual Fees Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
WestJet RBC Mastercard
Some individuals want a basic travel card and want to save on the annual fees. For these individuals, the WestJet RBC Mastercard could be considered as an economy type card based on its low annual fee. Some of the other advantages with this card are;
- 50 Welcome WestJet dollars on the first purchase.
- 1% in Westjet dollars on qualifying purchases.
- 1.5% in Westjet dollars on Westjet flights and Westjet Vacations.
Best Low Spending Minimum Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
Best Western Rewards Mastercard
|Balance Transfer||1.99%(10 months)|
There may be other cards out there that have a higher sign-up bonus but this was picked for our top ten list because there is no minimum spend to qualify for the bonus. Then added to this there are some other great perks that come with this card.
- A sign-up bonus of 20,000 points.
- Free hotel night welcome bonus.
- For every dollar spent on Best Western stays 5 points are earned.
Best Hotels Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card
For those who like a card that is going to give the chance to save on their Hotel stays, then this card has earned its way into the top ten travel cards. Aside from its hotel savings, the card comes with some other perks such as;
- Starpoints are earned on purchases made at SPG participating Hotels as well as participating Marriott Hotels.
- Every dollar charged to this credit card for other purchases earns 1 Starpoint
- Travel Insurance
- Can earn up to $250 in statement credits
Best Insurance Canada Travel Credit Card of 2018
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege
Those that are going to travel will most always be concerned about travel insurance. Most cards offer some form of protection. This particular card has made their travel coverage more extensive. It includes coverage for out of province and country emergency care, trip cancellation, and interruptions, plus auto rental collision along with additional types of coverage. Then in addition to this some of the other perks are ;
- 25,000 welcome points.
- For every dollar spent 1.25 RBC rewards are earned.
- Fuel savings at Petro Canada.