In Ontario, Canada, you cannot legally drive a vehicle on the road without insurance coverage. However, if your vehicle is inoperable and needs to be towed, it may be possible to do so without insurance, as long as the vehicle is not being driven on the road.
Towing companies typically require proof of ownership, such as a registration or title, before they will tow a vehicle. They may also require payment up front or a deposit before they will provide their services.
It’s important to note that even if you are towing an uninsured vehicle, you may still be responsible for any damage caused during the towing process. Before having your vehicle towed, it may be a good idea to check with the towing company to understand their requirements and any potential liabilities.
Rules for Towing Vehicles
In Ontario, Canada, the rules for towing vehicles are governed by the Highway Traffic Act and the Ministry of Transportation. Some of the key rules for towing vehicles include:
- Equipment requirements: The towing vehicle and trailer must be equipped with brakes, lights, reflectors, and other safety equipment as required by law.
- Weight restrictions: The combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer must not exceed the maximum weight limit as specified by law.
- Towing limits: The maximum length of a vehicle and trailer combination is limited to 27 meters, and the maximum width of a vehicle and trailer is limited to 2.6 meters.
- Securement requirements: The vehicle being towed must be securely attached to the trailer with the use of chains, ropes, or other approved securement devices.
- Speed restrictions: The speed limit for a towing vehicle and trailer combination is typically 10 km/h slower than the speed limit for other vehicles on the road.
- Licensing requirements: The operator of the towing vehicle must have a valid driver’s license and be authorized to operate the type of vehicle being used for towing.
- Insurance requirements: The towing vehicle and trailer must be insured and have liability insurance as required by law.
It’s important to familiarize yourself with the towing rules and regulations in Ontario to ensure that you are operating your vehicle and towing equipment safely and legally.
Moving a Newly Purchased Car